Thursday, December 5, 2019

Assignment #8 - Propaganda Poster


The final project of the semester! It's hard to believe it's been so long already... our last assignment was to use Illustrator in order to create a Constructivist-inspired propaganda poster for a cause that we are passionate about. I've been looking forward to this assignment for a while, not just because it's an opportunity to advocate a cause we support, but because I was really intrigued by the unique style of Russian Constructivism, and seeing so many cool student examples was very exciting.

I had a few different proposals sketched out, including one based on the recent trend of arming teachers in schools, as well as one related to animal rights, but thankfully I was given the go-ahead on a poster centered around the threat of climate change. Climate change is a topic that I have a personal affinity for, as I live in Miami, so the aftermath of climate change is easily observed through extreme weather conditions and rising sea levels flooding our streets. My goal with this poster was to try and invoke a feeling of dread in viewers at what could happen if we don't take proactive measures. The desaturated, lifeless Earth, slowly being consumed by the blazing sun... in that respects, I think I achieved my goal.

However, the assignment's requirements weren't just to make something you liked; we also had a stylistic guidelines to follow. I invoked Constructivist posters of old with the use of radiating lines orbiting the sun, a color palette that made heavy use of red, black, and beige, and angled text in Russian-reminiscent fonts. I also made use of a texture image as an overlay to give the image a worn poster feel. I chose to leave the text unaffected by this texture so that the message stood out more, but some layering complications meant I wasn't able to have the text overlap exactly how I wanted it to with the borders of the image and the angled strokes. However, even in spite of that, I'm very proud of how this ended up.

No comments:

Post a Comment