Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Assignment #6 - Calligram


Moving on to learning Adobe Illustrator, the assignment this time around was to create a calligram, also known as a picture comprised of words that relate to the picture. I had a few different ideas for how to start this, such as a tree or an umbrella, but ultimately I decided to go with this raven you see here. The words that decorate it are... well, they're not the most imaginative, I guess we can put it that way, but after finding out that the words had to be our own writing and I couldn't pick out lines from The Raven, I needed to come up with something fast. Besides, I think it's pretty cool seeing words like quill and plume actually shaped like that...

I used a lot of different warp techniques in order to achieve this look. Off the top of my head... most of the plumes were made by warping to a pre-drawn selection, the feathers on the top of the wings were made by adjusting meshes, the legs and talons were made with arced warp effects, and the quills were hand-morphed on the vector level using anchor points. I think it was pretty cool that I got to utilize most of the different methods of warping text in this one image. I had a lot of fun matching the gradient shading to the original picture too; I thought it worked fine without, but it adds an extra level of depth you wouldn't otherwise get. I'm liking Illustrator so far and am looking forward to working with it more on future assignments!

No comments:

Post a Comment